openHAB Trademark Policy
Effective as of March 1, 2023
The openHAB trademark and logo (the “Marks”) are valuable assets of the openHAB Foundation (the “Foundation”) and are protected by trademark law.
The following information helps ensure our Marks are used in approved ways by other parties, so we can legally protect our Marks and encourage third parties to use the Marks in approved ways.
# Use of the Marks
The Foundation grants permission to use the Marks for the purpose of referring to the openHAB software and project. Any use of the Marks must be truthful, accurate, and not misleading.
The following guidelines apply to the use of the Marks:
- The Marks may be used to refer to the openHAB software and project in promotional and marketing materials, including websites, social media, and print materials.
- The Marks may not be used in any way that suggests an endorsement, sponsorship, or affiliation with the Foundation, unless such endorsement, sponsorship, or affiliation has been expressly authorized by the Foundation.
- The Marks may not be used in any way that is likely to cause confusion or mistake as to the source or origin of the openHAB software or project.
- The Marks may not be used in any way that is disparaging, defamatory, or otherwise harmful to the Foundation or its reputation.
- The Marks may not be used in any way that is inconsistent with the openHAB brand or its associated values and principles.
- You may not incorporate an openHAB Mark into the name of your company or software product or service name without the express written permission of the Foundation.
- You may not include an openHAB Mark in the name of a publication, certification program, domain name or book without the express written permission of the Foundation.
- Only the openHAB project is authorized to develop or maintain software packages that use openHAB namespaces such as 'org.openhab' in their namespace. This naming convention is used to identify code that has been developed as part of the openHAB project.
- The 'openHAB Foundation Member' Trademark is meant to identify those organizations and individuals that are members of the Foundation. Only current members of the Foundation are authorized to use this Trademark.
# Use of the openHAB Logo
The openHAB logos are available at https://www.openhab.org/artwork.html.
The openHAB logos may only be used in its original form and in compliance with the guidelines outlined in this trademark policy. The logo may not be altered or modified in any way, except as expressly authorized by the Foundation.
# Use of the openHAB Name
The openHAB name may be used in its unaltered form to describe the openHAB software and project. The name may not be used in any way that suggests an endorsement, sponsorship, or affiliation with the Foundation, unless such endorsement, sponsorship, or affiliation has been expressly authorized by the Foundation.
The Foundation reserves the right to take legal action to protect its Marks and to enforce this trademark policy. The Foundation may revoke permission to use the Marks at any time, in its sole discretion.
We recognize that there may be certain circumstances where a “fair use” of the Marks may deviate from this trademark policy. Nothing in this trademark policy should be interpreted to interfere with the right to make such fair uses of the Marks as provided for under applicable law and all of the guidance in this trademark policy is subject to applicable law.