# What is Armbian?
Armbian is a base operating system platform for single board computers.
- comes in desktop, minimal or server variant,
- has clean and highly optimised user space,
- is Ubuntu and Debian compatible,
- is supported with vibrant community,
- comes with a powerful SDK which allows reproduction and customisation,
- supports many 3rd party wireless drivers with advanced functionalities,
- supports Docker, disk encryption, Wireguard VPN any many other features.
# Recommended hardware
OpenHab will run on any Armbian supported hardware (opens new window) but it is recommended to choose boards that have at least:
- 512 Kb of memory (on minimal or server image)
- eMMC or a quality SD card (opens new window)
- 4 core
- wired networking
# Supported images
You can download (opens new window) and use server, desktop or minimal. If you choose a minimal image, you need to install armbian-config first.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
- Run armbian-config
Select OpenHAB2 (old version) or OpenHAB3 with SPACE and press ENTER
Wait 5 to 10 minutes depending on your hardware. During this time you can leave armbian-config and check if installation was succesfull by checking what openhab is doing on the system:
sudo htop -u openhab
If you don't see any openhab activities, something went wrong.
The very active openHAB Community Forum (opens new window) provides many more details and hints. If you run into any problems, use the search function or open a new thread with your detailed question.
In case you run into a problem that is board hardware related, please use Armbian Community forums (opens new window).